Explore the Energy Glossary

Look up terms beginning with:

water loss

1. n. [Drilling Fluids]

Referring to the volume of liquid measured in the filtration tests performed according to API specifications, in units of cm3/30 minutes. Although applied to water mud, in which the liquid is truly water, the term is sometimes applied to oil mud, in which the liquid is oil.

See: water-based drilling fluid

2. adj. [Drilling Fluids]

Jargon applied to a mud additive used to control fluid loss.