Explore the Energy Glossary

Look up terms beginning with:

free-water knockout

1. n. [Production Facilities]

A vertical or horizontal separator used mainly to remove any free water that can cause problems such as corrosion and formation of hydrates or tight emulsions, which are difficult to break. A free-water knockout is commonly called a three-phase separator because it can separate gas, oil and free water. The liquids that are discharged from the free-water knockout are further treated in vessels called treaters. Free-water knockout is abbreviated as FWKO.

Antonyms: three-phase separator

Alternate Form: FWKO

See: free watertreatervertical separator