demulsifier | Energy Glossary

Explore the Energy Glossary

Look up terms beginning with:


1. n. [Drilling Fluids]

A chemical used to break emulsions (that is, to separate the two phases). The type of demulsifier selected depends on the type of emulsion, either oil-in-water or water-in-oil. Demulsifiers are used in the chemical analysis of oil and synthetic muds and to treat produced hydrocarbons.

Antonyms: emulsifier

See: emulsionhydrocarbonoil mudoil-in-water emulsionsynthetic-base mudwater-in-oil emulsion